Updated: Aug 21, 2022
KingWolf catches up with Director Michael Matteo Rossi of Shadows, to talk about his passion for filmmaking and what’s next for him career-wise.
1. How did you become a director?
I started making short films in college at 19 and just absolutely loved it ever since and when I graduated from SDSU in late 2009 continued to pursue my passion in LA where I am from.
2. What was your first job as a filmmaker?
Directing a short film when I was 19 but I did a lot of interning before then as well on commercial sets too.
3. What would your life be like without filmmaking?
Simply put, meaningless.
4. What are some of your favorite movies?
The Seven Samurai, Goodfellas, The Godfather, Paths of Glory, Casino, The Shining, The original Twlight Zone show
5. What is the best piece of advice that you have ever received in your career?
Work at it every single day and do not give up
6. Do you think there are enough opportunities for people with limited experience in filmmaking?
Yes because technology is so readily available and people can be self taught and create their own content much easily now I feel.
7. What do you think are the most important elements for a good film?
A great script and great actors to breathe life into them.
8. How do you develop a story?
I start with the characters and guide the film around them.
9. If you were not a filmmaker, what would you see yourself doing?
Honestly I can't see myself doing anything else
10. Is there a film director that inspires you? If so, who and why?
Scorsese, Kubrick and James Cameron because they were innovators and entertaining as well.
Indie film supporters, check out Michael's latest action thriller SHADOWS. A young low-level drug dealer is reunited with his estranged mom and uncle to protect him when a ruthless drug kingpin puts a hit on him. Now on VOD from Midnight Releasing